Try these tips to set up an effective homework spot for your child:
- Clear the desk clutter. Does your child have a clear space to spread out and work? Remove anything that has piled up on the desk but isn't related to homework.
- Have the most-used supplies (pens, pencils, stapler, notepad) out on the desk and ready to go.
- Make sure your child's desk has drawers or another spot to keep the less-used school/craft supplies.
- If your child prefers to work at the kitchen, stash supplies in a cabinet or basket.
- Have good lighting for the workspace.
- If your child likes to work on the bed, get a lap desk.
- Provide a place for the papers. No matter where your child likes to work - desk, bed, or kitchen counter - be sure they have a place to store their school papers. A desktop file works great - label a folder for each class.
This article originally appeared in The Neat Sheet September/October 2012