Parents ask me how to tame the LEGOs® all the time, so I'm sharing some new ideas.
- Drawers: The LEGO® Workstation offers a standing frame with a set of 6 cases that come out and can be carried around. The cases snap tightly to hold LEGOs®, and could be organized by project. This solution would help keep the little pieces or projects all in one area, and can be found at The Container Store, amazon.com and other places online. Other shelving units like this could also be used for LEGO® storage.
- Under the bed: Here's a creative DIY storage solution. This dad built a rolling drawer, but the same thing could be created with a sturdy underbed container with shoeboxes inside as compartments. I love that a child can pull out the drawer and see all the LEGOs® in one spot. This makes it easy for the child to find what they want and put it away!
- Shelves: If your child likes to display LEGO® creations and you have some wall space, consider shelves. Here is a great playroom with display shelves and storage bins underneath.
And of course, there are tons of organization ideas on Pinterest. A word of caution: I think many of the solutions are too complicated for the typical child (and parent).
The bottom line for LEGO® storage:
- Keep it simple
- Make it easy to access the LEGOs® and put them away
- Watch how your kids play with LEGOs®, and get their input how to store/organize them - you might be surprised!
This article originally appeared in the March/April 2014 edition of The Neat Sheet.