When sorting papers or dealing with mail, my clients often put aside requests from non-profit organizations, arts groups, and schools to make an “end of the year gift.” The folder or pile grows and grows.
Well, the end of the year is around the corner! Now is the time to pull out that folder or get to that pile of requests, and make your decisions.
Here’s what to do:
- Find your folder or stack of donation requests.
- Grab your checkbook, or your laptop if you pay online.
- Sort requests by organization/group, and throw out multiple requests from the same place.
- If you write checks, keep a list with the organization’s name and the amount you gave this year. Use this list to be sure you get all the acknowledgement letters.
- If you pay online, you should receive an email confirmation. Set up a file in your email program and file all the confirmation emails here.
With a few simple steps you’ll make your donations and be ready for tax time.